The Bookshelf Meme


Alessandra tagged me for this bookshelf meme, originally started by Eva at A Striped Armchair. Before I can start answering the questions, however, I have a possibly shocking revelation to make: I have no bookshelves! My parents moved last year and all my books ended up in boxes and closets. Some have yet to be found. So, I'll be stretching the definition of bookshelf more toward "book storage facility," if that's all right with you all.

Now on to the meme:

The Rules
1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…

5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.

And now tell me about...

The book that’s been on your shelves the longest
:
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain-- the first "adult" book I read (I was 9, and it took me forever, but I was so proud when I finished). Anything older than that went to my sister or other homes long ago.

I actually rescued this one from a box in the basement and am taking it back to school to read again. It looks to be one of the books my mother picked up used in college. There's an inscription inside to someone I don't know and the latest copyright date listed on the publisher's page is 1917. If the book had a jacket once, it's long gone, and the book is coming out of its binding and frayed at the corners. I'm looking forward to reading it--there's something nostalgic, almost ethereal, about old, used books that a newer edition simply can't compete with.

a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time, etc.):
Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature by Erich Auerbach, supposedly the pinnacle of modern Western criticism, it reminds me of the first time I felt really, really ignorant. Try reading it, and you'll see what I mean (Unless, of course, you write and read in several languages and have read everything of importance from the Bible and Homer on through the 1900s, in which case, I'm not sure I like you anymore.)

A book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used bookstore, prize, etc.):
In all honesty, I don't have any interesting acquisitions to share. :(

A book that’s been with you to the most places:
My copy of Pride and Prejudice is one of the few books I keep hauling back and forth to school--I don't read it, but it's comforting knowing that it's there if I want to.

The most recent addition to your shelves:
Christmas presents!
I received The Time Traveler's Wife, Life of Pi, Gilgamesh, and Beowulf--oh the wonders of an amazon.com wishlist!

A bonus book that you want to talk about but doesn’t fit into the other questions:
I don't think I have an answer for this one either, sorry! :(

I apologize for not having a more interesting set of bookshelves; I don't buy many books (poor college student that I am) and, as I said, I would have no where to put them if I did!

Now on to the tagging! As always, feel free to ignore a tag if you have already done this meme (it's been around longer than I have), don't do memes, are behind on memes or in general etc. On the flip side, feel free to jump in!

I'll tag:
A Reader's Respite, because Michele posted recently about the difficulty in finding original content (well, it might not be original but it is content)
Book Spot, because they are my newest followers.

Oh, and in case this meme has reminded you how little shelf space you have left:




Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Oh yay! You gave me something to work on this afternoon --- thank you! (And yes, at least I know this will be original content....unless I choose the same books as everyone else, LOL).

Alyce said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you don't like me any more. ;)

I only had to read as far as the title "Mimesis" to know that I probably wouldn't understand what's in the book!

Alyce said...

Hehehe! I guess I should have hinted more at what I meant. :)

"Unless, of course, you write and read in several languages and have read everything of importance from the Bible and Homer on through the 1900s, in which case, I'm not sure I like you anymore."

Totally joking about you not liking me anymore! Because of course I'm not that well versed in all those subjects!

Post a Comment

SPAM will be promptly deleted

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL