Surfing Saturdays 02.28.09

Welcome to Surfing Saturdays! Each Saturday morning, I'll list any links of interest I came across during the past week of surfing and give an update on my reading progress. Play along with me! Leave your own links, or a link to your own post, in the comments!

This week was very exciting at Literary Menagerie, because Cassandra, a good friend of mine, decided to give reviewing a try. She did an excellent job convincing my NOT to read Sundays at Tiffany's and hopefully will become a regular contributor here!

So, where have I been this week? Check it out (only the best for you my readers):


Links:
  • See Kindle 2's guts. I'm not sure why, but I find this picture fascinating. Plus, I have Kindle envy. Please leave comments telling me how much you hate yours, like this guy, so I won't break down and buy one.
  • You weren't the only one Twittering through Obama's speech Tuesday. Read some of the snarky comments made by your very own Congressional representatives! Oh, and don't let the end of the article bruise your ego--then again, if it does, just twitter about it.
  • You would think, with the recession and all, stupid stuff like this would just stop selling. I mean $80 for a BOOK BRUSH?! Those books can stay dusty. Call it the classic look.
  • Who wins in an economic crisis? Ayn Rand, apparently. Book sales over the past few weeks have tripled in comparison to last year. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why?
  • Poor Joe the Plummer, no one's even showing up for his book signings anymore.
  • If you like free books, and who doesn't, you will be so freakin' jealous. (or, if you live in England, you'll grab your car keys and heading for Bristol)

Currently Reading:
  • Zig-zagging by Tom Wilson (this is for a book tour at the end of March, but I couldn't resist starting it.)
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind (I'm seriously considering putting off finishing this book, so that I don't have to choose between it and Signed, Mata Hari for favorite read of the month)
  • Gilgamesh translated by Stephen Mitchell (I know, it's pathetic how long I've been at this one, but reading classic literature for classes puts me in the mood for anything else most nights)
Cassandra is Reading:
  • The Italian Lover by Robert Hellenga

So where have you been this week? What are your reading? Let me know, leave me a comment!

4 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Book Brush! Hahaha!

Michele said...

Funny you mention the Ayn Rand thing...I was at a book store last week and was bitching that there was one entire row filled with nothing but Ayn Rand (whom I am not a fan of). *Sigh*

I finished Gilgamesh last month. Try as I might, I could not warm up to that story. I never saw Gilgamesh in the sympathetic light he was probably intended. Moving along to Dante's Divine Comedy now.....

Jenners said...

I like the way you did this post -- got some neat stuff here. And a book brush...are you kidding me?

Kim Allen-Niesen said...

I love the Amazon story! The book brush, for the person who truly has absolutely everything under the sun. Thanks for the fun post.

Post a Comment

SPAM will be promptly deleted

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL