Two decades in reading...

Today is my 20th birthday, which I suppose is a big deal--leaving my teenage years behind and all.

So to celebrate, I thought I would share the highlights of two decades in reading. These are the books that have stayed with me over the years, in semi-chronological order...


The Baby-sitter's Club by Ann M. Martin (the series)


The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (the series)


A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain


Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe


Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes


Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (the series)


1984 by George Orwell


By the Waters of Babylon by Stephen Vincent Benet


Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy


Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy


Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte


A Passage to India by E. M. Forester


Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell


Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov


What stories and books have stuck with you over the years?

14 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday! You've done some good reading in your day!

Kitten said...

Happy Birthday! Loved some of your picks--especially BSC and the Anne series! Boy, did that take me back!

Hope you have a lovely day...

Jo-Jo said...

Happy Birthday! It looks like you've read some great books so far and I'm sure many more to come!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I love some of your picks - Narnia, Anne, and P&P, of course.

Some of my faves from my younger years:

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankeweiler by Konigsberg

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Speare

The Trixie Belden mysteries

Michele said...

Lovely picks....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

PenPoint Editorial Services said...

ahhh....LOLITA....what a genius book. I re-read it often.

Becca said...

I absolutely loved the Babysitters' Club books when I was younger. I wrote about this a couple of weeks ago, my favorite being the Super Special #1 about the cruise. I read it dozens of times. I also had that Anne of Green Gables collection, but only got through 2 of them. I have yet to read Lolita, if you can believe it.

Anna said...

Happy birthday! I'm more than a decade older than you. Sigh. We have a lot of the same faves. I LOVED The Babysitter's Club!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

kimbofo said...

Happy birthday -- you make me feel so old. I'll be *TWICE* your age in July!!

1984 is one of my favourite books, too.

Tricia said...

We have the same birthday! Happy birthday to us! :)

Luanne said...

Happy Birthday Meg. I really enjoyed your 'keepers' list. ( We still have the full set of Babysitters here - my daughter is long gone, but wants to keep the books -just not at her house)

Jenners said...

Happy Birthday! And wow ... you are only 20 and you have read some great books already! You are better read than most "adults" I know!

Zibilee said...

Happy Birthday! I also think that Pride and Prejudice was definitely a book that stuck with me. Glad to see Lolita on the list too!

Lindsey said...

Tried to reply to your comment but the email in your profile doesn't work... so here's what I said. :-)

Thanks! :-) I'm following you on Twitter now, by the way. :-)

Oh and I love your 20 years post, glad the Anne books are on it, lol. My favorite Anne book is Anne of the Island, how about you? I just loved Philippa, she had so much gall but was so honest nobody could stay mad at her!

I need to read Gone With the Wind now - it's beside my bed, I just haven't gotten to it yet. Gotta slow down on the review books!

Post a Comment

SPAM will be promptly deleted

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL