January Reads Roundup



I started out the month with a good reading pace, but had to slow down when school started, but nonetheless, I'm very happy with the books I picked this month--there were several stand-out excellent titles and picking a favorite was more difficult than normal.

Best Pick of the Month:
The Keep by Jennifer Egan -- this was a difficult choice, because I read several Best of the Month worthy books, but this one wins it by a hair. Haunting, magical, hilarious, complicated, frustrating -- this book will have your head running in circles.

Worst Pick of the Month:
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld -- I cannot emphasize how disappointing this book was. I'm more frustrated by good books with rotten endings than books that were rotten all the way through, because at least those I can stop reading before I become interested in any of the characters.

Also Read this Month:
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga -- give it 100 pages, it starts out slow but builds into something scary and engrossing.
Sherlock Holmes was Wrong: Reopening the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles by Pierre Bayard -- this was in the picture finish for favorite of the month. An absolutely hilarious and engaging literary criticism for those who don't read literary criticism.
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini -- beautiful.
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas -- this book is a lot darker than I was expecting, in a very good way. Complicated characters overlaid with romance and adventure, what's not to love?


Yearly Stats to Date:

Total Books Read: 6
Total Recommended: 5

Male Authors: 4 (4 Recommended)
Female Authors: 2 (1 Recommended)

See last month's roundup here.
Visit the reads roundup archive page here.

7 comments:

Becca said...

I am completely on board with you about books that entice you and then let you down being worse than books that are "rotten all the way through". The New Girls by Beth Gutcheon did that to me this past month. Great first chapter and then a big let down. *Sigh*

But at least you read more good books than unworthy books! That is always a cause for celebration.

Sandra said...

You had some good reading. I really enjoyed The White Tiger and A Thousand Splendid Suns too. The Keep does sound interesting. I have put it on my to be considered list. Well done. Happy reading in February.

Darlene said...

You had a good month of reading. I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. Hope February is another good month of reading.

sarirose said...

I really did enjoy your comments about the books. Short and sweet!

Anonymous said...

What a great month of reading! I also loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. I've heard a lot of good things about The Keep and can't wait to check it out. THanks!

Tracy(bookroomreviews) said...

I ditto Lisa above. I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and it will be my favorite. I loved it. I really like your blog! Happy reading:)

Melwyk said...

I've heard a lot of people say they didn't like The Keep. I am so relieved to see you enjoyed it -- I loved it and was starting to wonder about my taste! ;)

Post a Comment

SPAM will be promptly deleted

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL